Monday, September 17, 2012

It's not always easy or fun

Living in a different country just because you can is a fun adventure I'd absolutely suggest to anyone who is able to step outside of their cofort zone and accept that the world is full of different people, different cultures, and different ways of doing things. this life isn't for everyone. I know many people who simply couldn't accept that the way of doing things that they grew up with simply isn't acceptable elsewhere. I know many whom I'd love to see attempt it. And so few will.
While I embrace the culture I'm living in and am constantly absorbing new information, always trying to learn.....blah blah blah this sounds pompous.
There are somethings that you just never think about when living in your home country.

Going to the post office- think of trying to communicate that you need to send something to another country...but neither of you speak the same language. You can prep yourself by learning a few key words, but I managed to freeze up, and I think the poor post office attendant did too. Such a stressful experience. I never once thought about how convenient it is to just know what to do, to be able to read all of the signs, and ask the appropriate questions.   Oh, and the postal workers here are like all working Koreans.  SUPER NICE and FRIENDLY. Even when they don't understand you!   One thing I don't miss about home-rudeness to strangers.

Buying groceries- you know what you like, what you want, and where to find it.
If you're trying something new then you can simply read the labels. Don't know what something is? Read the label. I can read Korean, but reading every label is exhausting. And they simply don't use most of the products we're accustomed to finding with ease. The food is different so it makes sense that the grocery stores are too. I've never seen seafood sections so large. And 500 workers, simply there to steer you in the direction of products (preferably the ones they're paid to represent) All smiles and hello's..... and ooooohhs once they look at your face and realize "you're not one of us". 
I miss just going in, finding ingredients for a new recipe with ease, buying what I want, and getting back out. Without smelling like dried fish.

BREAKFAST!  My favorite meal of the day.   Ever had rice and kimchi for breakfast? How about dried fish? Cooked fish? Why would I want rice, fish, and kimchi for breakfast....lunch AND dinner? 
I miss good old American style breakfasts! Biscuits and gravy. Pancakes or waffles. Bacon and eggs. Breakfast sandwiches.    Diners beware when I get back to the states!


No comments:

Post a Comment